Sunday, February 27, 2011

Generation Hot Mess

Lady Gaga's endorsement of the Drunk Diet.
Miley Cyrus hitting a bong.
The lives of Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen.

Between the tabloids, YouTube videos, and minute-by-minute Tweet updates, there's no hiding from the social taboos of our favorite celebrities.
Or, nowadays, our very own friends. 

There's no denying that our culture has developed an ever-increasing obsession with partying and the consequential persona of the "Hot Mess," but perhaps there's something else that can be said about society, beyond the bloodshot eyes & tousled hair. 

Maybe generation Y is slightly more lax than their parents, as we fully embrace our heathenish ways. But what if we're just the stumbling examples of moral decline our elders say we are?

As a graduating college senior reflecting on the past 3 years & avoiding the thought of the next 50, I can't help but feel the need to "live it up" before entering the real world (strenuous studying of Mass Communications and English can have that effect on an individual). And feeling as though I've been pretty successful towards the completion of my goal, I recently had an epiphany.

For years, my friends and I have enjoyed devoting our mornings to bagels & breakdowns of our escapades from the previous evenings. But what I've found to be most interesting is that so many of us find ourselves in situations that,
1) appear to be universal phenomenons and
2) would never exist had we not been drinking

Over the next few months, I'd like to offer a place for people to explore one sphere of the young adult night life: college. From observing interpersonal behaviors to sorting through common issues, there's a whole world of human behavior hidden in the darkness of the "blackout," and I encourage you to help in the exploration.

1 comment:

  1. Very nicely written Monica. A clear purpose, good writing, interesting and unique topic. Keep pushing for brevity and keep up with the timeliness of this topic. Sheening is now becoming a verb!

    ReplyDelete